Friday, October 3, 2008

Healthy food, dried fruits?

Dried fruit and nuts on a platter, traditional...Image via WikipediaHealthy food:Dried fruits or frozen fruit, which one is better? I love fruits no matter how it's done dried, frozen and of course fresh.

The nutrients of dried fruits depends on how long the fruit was around before it was dried. Some commercial dried fruits may contain an additional sulfur dioxide which can lead to asthma for some people, Now, you might be asking why sulfur? The sulfur is used to "fix" the color of the fruit.

But there are also no-sulfur dried fruits available in stores that you can try. So, what nutrients do you get from dried fruits?Here are some vitamins that you can get from dried fruits

Vitamin A, B1, B2, B3, B6,

pantothenic acid

and minerals such as calcium, iron, magnesium,

phosphorus, potassium, sodium, copper, manganese)(courtesy of Wikipedia).

And because of water loss, that was experienced while it was dried. Dried fruits has a stronger taste or flavor. But these process also destroys most of the Vitamin C in the food, The levels of Vitamin C has been greatly reduced compared when it was fresh.

But i just want to share my favorite dried fruit... mangoes. i love 7D dried mangoes, This is just the best dried mangoes on the planet.





Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

5 comments:

  1. I love dried apricots! I will have to see if I can find the dried mangoes anywhere. I love Mangoes but have never tried them dried.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like dried mangoes too. When in Cebu City, I buy them but the other brand. I'd try this brand the next time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice post.it really helps to understand the importance of dried fruits for our health.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love dried mangoes too! It don't matter to me what brand I just love them for my snack times!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just adore dried fruits in general. Now i'm just craving for dried mangoes after reading your post :)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin